Chronic pain can knock you off your feet. It can feel crippling and no one around you can understand the magnitude of it. Those that suffer from this type of pain often suffer from depression and/or find themselves using many types of pharmaceuticals.
Essential oils have provided me (and my family) with natural relief for my chronic pain and depression with no side effects. These are the oils that have helped the most:
- Peppermint essential oil, used externally, can provide relief from pain. Because of it’s cooling property, it is also used to help reduce fever.
- Wintergreen essential oil is easily absorbed through the skin and its Menthol Salicylate induces numbness and has a anesthetic effect in the nerves of the area it is applied. It also increases circulation brings warmth to that area, which induces relaxation and helps relieve tension.
- Clove essential oil has a stimulating effect on the mind which helps remove mental exhaustion and fatigue. Clove oil also induces sleep and is helpful to insomnia patients. When mixed with salt, and applied on the forehead, clove oil gives a cooling effect and helps with relief from headaches.
- Helichrysum essential oil is anti spasmodic and anti inflammatory in nature and can give you quick relief in cases of muscle spasm and help soothe inflammation.
- Idaho Balsam Spruce essential oil is traditionally used for muscular aches and pains. The warm aroma of balsam fir soothes and rejuvenates body and mind. It is believed to create an uplifting sense of well-being.
- The Essential Oil of Elemi, with all its analgesic properties, is effective in alleviating pain related to cold, fever, sprains headache, migraine, muscular pain, pain in joints, pain in ears etc.
- Idaho Balsam Fir essential oil contains alpha-pinene, beta pinene, camphene, and limonene. When used together, these key constituents can work to help soothe localized muscular discomfort and bring welcome relief to those suffering from joint pain, arthritis, and rheumatism.
- Frankincense Essential Oil is great for relieving muscle aches, pain and inflammation. It also helps to relieve pain caused by rheumatism.
- Lemongrass essential oil helps reduce pain in muscles, joints, toothache and headache etc. It helps relieve body pain and inflammation resulting from sports injuries, tendonitis, and can help to repair tears to cartilage and tendons. I found great relief for my torn rotator cuff and have had no pain for over 8 months, avoiding surgery!
- Palo Santo essential oil comes from Equador and is highly regarded in the spiritual realm by the Shamans. And the indigenous people have used it for thousands of years for its powerful healing properties. It is used for rheumatism, immune stimulant, muscle pain, viruses, inflammation, and to help support the nervous system.
- Copaiba essential oil also comes to us from Equador. It is a powerful pain reliever and anti inflammatory. I combine it with clove oil for relief with sciatica.
Young Living has created some amazing blends to help with pain relief. They are:
- PanAway – contains wintergreen, helichrysum, clove, and peppermint.
- Deep Relief Roll-on – contains peppermint, Idaho Balsam Fir, Clove, Vetiver, Wintergreen, Lemon, Helichrysum, Copaiba, and Coconut oil. A favorite in our house!
- Relieve It – contains Spruce, black pepper, hyssop, and peppermint.
It’s important to remember that every body is different. What may work for one person, may not work for another. Some oils may be too “hot” and will require dilution with a carrier oil. Experiment to learn what works best for you.